When your shoulder is stiff, you realize how much you depend on it for your everyday tasks. There are several shoulder problems you could be suffering from and a chiropractor can evaluate and diagnose what condition you are suffering from. Some of the most common shoulder injuries are:
- Neurological referred pain can radiate to the shoulders from nerve roots that are inflamed and squeezed together in your neck or from problems in your internal organs. “Referred” pain is described as a dull ache that gradually gets worse.
- Bursitis and tendonitis is caused by years of overusing your shoulder by doing the same motion day in and day out (lifting, reaching, etc.). Repeated overuse can inflame the bursa and tendons of your shoulder. The mobility in your shoulder will be limited due to the localized pain.
- Degenerative arthritis is part of the aging process. This is normal wear and tear that damages the bone, cartilage and saclike bursa in your shoulder. The pain gets progressively worse as the unprotected bone surfaces rub together.
- A rotator cuff injury is when one or more of the four rotator cuff tendons that hold your arm in place are inflamed or torn. This injury is very painful and limits the mobility of your shoulder.
- A frozen shoulder is when you underused your shoulder. This can lead to adhesions, which limits your shoulder movement until is “freezes”.